Saturday, November 15, 2008

Packing Lite

After fishing last week I realized that I've been packing extra gear that is just not needed.  So in an effort to relieve myself of a headache and backache I've decided to simplify and organize my pack as well as fly box.

Why carry a fly box full of flys that aren't used?
Why carry a fly box when i have one that is part of my pack?
Why carry two types of hook removal devises when one works fine?
Why carry all my spilt shot when i could just pack what i need for that day?

The Fly Box
Nymphs 
1. Wooly Bugger
2. Soft Hackle Hares Ear
3. Pheasant Tail 
4. Red Midge

Dry
1. Gray Trico
2. Black Trico
3. Pale Dun
4. Grant

The Pack
Leaders
1. 3x 9ft
2. 4x 9ft
3. 5x 9ft

Tippet
1. 3x (might remove from pack)
2. 4x
3. 5x
4. 6x
5. 7x

Tools
1. Small Flash light
2. Small screwdriver
3. Very small multi tool. 
4.  Pocket knife
5. Line cutter  

Small Tackle Box
1. Spilt shot
2. Strike indicators

Other Stuff
1. Card sized maps of the river
2. Fingerless gloves
3. Fishing license and permits 
4. Gink and Zink
5. Power bar

That should do it. 

No comments: