Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Perfect Day on the Water

I found myself listening to the symphony of water dancing across the rocky bottom, on vacation and having the perfect day. I’m an analog man in a digital world so any chance I have to get out of the rat race and into the wild disappearing behind the old oaks and down weathered trails to the streams edge to cast a fly, I take it.

As I recall it was a clear very sunny, 58° with a water temperature of 51° moving at 110 cfs. The river was the bluest I had ever seen. When I reached the water there were two fishermen on a very nice pool so I moved up stream to the next. I asked how they had been doing and the answer was not good. So I decided to fish tandems and double my luck hitting two water columns at once.

Now, I rarely fish tandems because of the wind we have here in Oklahoma however, on this day there was none. I went with a soft hackle then a midge. Bingo, Fish on!

It just keep getting better and better. I brought 6 fish to hand on that pool then I moved to the lower pool where the other two fisherman had been but had since moved on, back to the parking lot. I noticed a nice seam with plenty of bubbles.

Well, I went on to catch 4 more fish out of that hole and the largest of that perfect day on the water. 2 hours with 10 Rainbows brought to hand.


- H. Lewis

Angler, Wonderer, Naturalist

4 comments:

Aztec Anglers said...

Harley,

Great blog and site. I will add your blog to mine. Hope you do the same for mine.

Merc

http://flyfishpimp.blogspot.com/

Barry said...

Love every word Harley. Beautiful. Love that background you put up too. You're a talented devil. Have to show me how to do that someday. Keep on fishing friend. Where did you fish this day? C&R?

Barry
http://prairieoceanflyfisher.blogspot.com

Harley said...

Thank you for the kind words fellows.

I fished Hwy 7 on the East side of the bridge that day. I only had a few hours to kill and I didn't want to waste time walking. I used to fish this spot all the time before venturing to the C&R.

Aztec Anglers said...

Right on Harley ! Thanks for adding my blog to your page. I added yours yesterday. Agree with Barry, your background is way cool.

Merry Christmas.

Merc